1. Notches. When cutting, I forgot to add the notches. I remember vividly reading and watching videos on the importance of the notches but, I still forgot. So, I marked the space where the notches were supposed to go so, I could remember.
2. The layout for cutting is important. I decided to just cut the fabric and completely disregarded the layout. Of course, I knew the layout was important but, I figured I had 2 yards of fabric so, I had enough fabric. Wrong! When it came to cutting the lower front and lower back, I did not have enough fabric. So, instead of the longer version D I had to go with the shorter Version C.
3. When it came to adding the underlining to the upper lining, disaster reigned. Somehow, I grabbed portions from the bottom and actually sewed it to my seam at the top. Needless to say, the top was completely ill fitting.
4. What is understitching? I thought I completely read through the instructions but, I noticed that it told me to do that. I read up on it but, I think I’m going to check out a video for further clarification.
5. The fit of the garment was simply horrible. The right sleeve was so tight I could barely get my arm through. The bottom was not even so, one side was higher than the other.
6. I think I did pretty well on my gathers for the sleeves but, they can be evened up a bit.
7. I need to find a more efficient way of making sure my darts are lined together. However, I think I did alright for a first time.
So, after I noticed the mistakes, I ripped back quite a few seams. This was around 1:00 AM this morning. By this time, I was frustrated and decided to call it a night. Well, this morning I tried on the top and it actually wasn’t that bad once the seams were ripped back. So tonight, I plan on giving this another go.
I felt like I wasted my time and materials but, then I started thinking that the mistakes were a good thing. The entire purpose of trying to make this top was to get a feel for a written pattern before I start my dress for the OAL2014. So, looking back I realized that I can learn from these mistakes and hopefully avoid them on my future projects.
I am learning that sewing takes patience.
Check out the pics of the garment after I ripped back the seams in those problem areas. I plan on trying to save this top tonight.