Finished: Vivien Sweater

After almost 2 years, this sweater is finally complete! Originally, I started this as part of the Knit a Christmas Sweater in 2014 challenge hosted by Andi of Untangling Knots. Well, I didn’t finish it in 2014. But, it is ready for 2015.

What can I say about this sweater? What is my favorite part? First off, I really like the neckline with the button band. It gives the sweater an authentic vintage vibe. I am so very happy with my color choices. I pretty much stayed in the same color family as the modeled sweater. The yarn is so perfect, squishy and warm with the fair isle. The fit is really nice because it conforms to my shape and still has a relaxed fit.

Initially, I planned blocking then seaming the garment. This was suggested in the book. However, I just had to try on the garment first. So, I seamed using crochet slip stitch. I love how sturdy and super fast this seaming technique is. Then, I blocked the garment. Also, I finished the neckline with a single crochet row because it looked untidy to me. There is not much to say about this pattern. I did note a few errors in this pattern and made the following adjustments:

  • I think the increase row should say (Rib 5, m1) 20 times, rib 3. This will give me the 123 sts. that is required. Also, the chart is a repeat of 24 sts. yet, I have 123 sts. So, I am going to do the following:
    Row 1: Sl1 k-wise, follow chart, k2
    Row 2: Sl-1 k-wise, P1, follow chart, P1
    I will then repeat these 2 rows.
  • The directions said to “shape armholes same as front”. Well, I did this up until the part where it says “continue working for 7.5 inches”. I think this was a mistake because the schematics says the armhole depth should be 6 inches. So, I moved on to the part that decrease 2 stitches for the next 5 rows. I continued working the armhole then after the final 3 rows of shaping, I worked 4 rows straight. I tested out the shaping of the armhole with the front and back. I also used the photo as a guide. My armhole depth is 6 inches, which is what it should be.

Further details:

Yarn – Knit Picks Comfy in Fingering

Colors – Natural/Undyed, Holly Berry, Peapod, Celestial

Needles – US 3 (3.25mm), US 5 (3.75mm), US 7 (4.5mm)

Level – Intermediate to Advanced

DSCN3346 (2) DSCN3356 (2) DSCN3352 (2) DSCN3365

Advertisements

Vivien Sweater (The Unfinished Christmas KAL)

Well, since we’re discussing KALs. Let’s talk about the only KAL I didn’t finish. Do you remember I joined Andi’s Christmas Sweater KAL, which was a challenge to finish a Christmas sweater in a year? Christmas 2014 came and went and I didn’t even have a finished front. I failed. So, I tucked the cardigan away. Picked it back up in the Spring. Then, tucked it away again. Chart work takes concentration and most of the time I just want a mindless knit. However, the unfinished project just kept staring at me on my Ravelry page. So, a few weeks back I decided that I was going to finish this sweater if it was the last thing I do.

I mean, it is a simply stunning fair isle. I am really pleased with the color choices (I pretty much stayed in the same color family as the modeled sweater). So, why not finish this? Also, I know it will be a wardrobe staple that I will probably wear for years to come.

With that determination, I finished all parts to this sweater this past weekend! I have started weaving in the ends, which is no fun. I hope to at least start the blocking this weekend. Then, I’ll do the seaming.

I can’t wait to show you all the finished product.

DSCN3304 DSCN3328

WIP: Geraldine Pullover and Ethel Beret

As you know from the previous post, I am in the process of moving. Argh! It is so annoying and moving is interrupting my knitting. But, despite the stress of moving, I am excited to be leaving that area. I have actually started staying at the new place. I just have to get the last of my things moved to the new place.

Despite all of this, I have been steadily working on my Geraldine pullover. I am now on the Body portion of the pullover and I am really pleased with my color scheme. I can’t wait to show you all the finished product!

IMG_8747[1]

And since this pullover has a matching beret, I have cast on for that as well. The Ethel beret is a beautiful beret that features an adorable pom pom on the back. Last year, I ordered a pom pom maker from Knit Picks and I am very anxious to use it for this gorgeous hat. I actually got gauge with Size 4 needles but, I decided to go up to Size 5 needles for the hat because I have a rather large head and very thick hair.

IMG_8745[1]

This beret will give me the chance to practice stranded color work in the round. From my reading on the subject, I understand that things can get a bit too tight if you’re not careful. So, I am really going to try keeping the tension even. I would like to start the color chart on this beret as soon as possible but, who knows when that’ll happen with this full weekend ahead.

I also plan on casting on for the matching Aida wristers. It is funny that I was so afraid to try color work but, now I want to make everything in the Wrapped in Wool collection. I really think this collection is great practice for a newbie to color work.